Building Healthy Communities
Building Healthy Communities is a comprehensive, school-wide initiative that fights childhood obesity by surrounding children and families with healthy eating and physical activity. Its wide-ranging approach includes:
- Educating students through curriculum
- Providing a healthy, supportive environment that makes the healthy choice the easy choice
- Encouraging students to practice lessons learned in the classroom
- Providing access to physical activity opportunities
- Providing access to healthy, nutrient-rich food and beverages
Specifically, program schools will receive a transformation package valued at $50,000 per school. It includes curriculum, physical activity equipment, healthy eating resources, professional development, and at-school mentoring and technical assistance from a healthy school coordinator. Funding for family events is also provided. Everything you need to know about eligibility, what schools need to do if they receive the program, and how to access the application are provided in the attached Request for Applications.
This program is a partnership between Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Wayne State University Center for School Health, Michigan Fitness Foundation and the United Dairy Industry of Michigan.