Career Opportunities with Michigan Fitness
The Michigan Fitness Foundation (MFF) is a nonprofit located in Old Town Lansing. Our mission is to improve lives and strengthen communities by promoting healthy eating and active living.
President and Chief Executive Officer
|Position Title:||President and Chief Executive Officer|
|Reporting to:||Michigan Fitness Foundation Board of Directors|
|The Company:||Michigan Fitness Foundation|
In 1992, the Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness, Health and Sports was established through an Executive Order issued by Governor John M. Engler to improve the health of, and increase physical activity among, Michigan residents. Its 15 members are appointed by the current Governor to two-year terms. The Michigan Fitness Foundation was created in 1994 as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public charity foundation to expedite the Governor's Council on Physical Fitness, Health and Sports’ policies and programs and provide a broader funding base to pursue its mission of Getting Michigan Moving. The Foundation board is comprised of 15 Michigan residents who have committed their lives to improving the health of their community.
The Michigan Fitness Foundation (MFF) and the Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness, Health and Sports work to bring about behavior change through programming efforts like the Michigan Nutrition Network nutrition education program, the Exemplary Physical Education Curriculum and events such as hosting the Labor Day Bridge Run and the Governor’s Fitness Awards, that encourage citizens to build physical activity and sound nutrition into their daily lives. By empowering, facilitating and celebrating healthy choices, the Foundation works to foster prosperity for all.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The President and Chief Executive Officer will report to the Michigan Fitness Foundation Board of Directors and will have primary responsibility for the leadership of the organization, including day-to-day operations.
The President and Chief Executive Officer:
- Serves as the primary spokesperson and representative of the Foundation and its mission as a persuasive champion for healthy, active living in communities.
- Establishes (in conjunction with the Board of Directors) and executes the strategic vision and goals of the organization.
- Diversifies the organization’s sources of income and generates unrestricted discretionary income.
- Represents the MFF to the state legislature, federal government, foundations and corporations.
- Leads, motivates and fosters sound working relationships with staff.
- Works in partnership with the state departments and offices in support of state efforts on fitness and wellness.
- Expands relationships with individuals and organizations that may be potential sources of funding, including foundations, corporations and other nonprofits.
- Develops an effective working relationship with the Board of Directors.
- The ideal candidate will have at least 10 years of experience in leadership and management.
- Demonstrates an understanding and a passion for the principles of a healthy lifestyle.
- Leadership ability and demonstrated skill set to lead a regional or statewide organization committed to providing evidence-based health promotion programming.
- Exposure and/or experience in public policy.
- Skill and effectiveness relative to fund-source development and expansion.
- Demonstrated strategic planning skills.
- Prior financial responsibility and knowledge that includes budgeting, forecasting, fund, grant and government accounting.
- Skilled communicator and dynamic public speaker.
- Previous work with board of directors is a plus.
- Legislative process and policy development.
- Relationship building.
- Collaborate internally and externally and build coalitions.
- Develop and implement long and short term priorities for the organization’s programs and operations.
- Strong consensus building skills are essential.
- Lead a team toward established goals and objectives.
- A demonstrated ability to execute effectively, be collaborative but decisive and be able to accomplish goals, as well as being a creative, innovative visionary.
- The ability to articulate, with passion and detail, the vision, strategy and guidance to the organization’s staff.
- A track record as a “builder”, with credibility, high ethics and impeccable personal and professional integrity.
- He/she must be charismatic, motivational, with excellent communication skills, and high energy.
- It is essential that the successful candidate possess excellent interpersonal and political/diplomatic skills.
- The successful candidate must be open and accessible, able to demonstrate immediate credibility, command the respect of, and work well with multiple constituents.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required; an advanced degree in a related field is preferred.
- The selected candidate will receive an attractive compensation package to include base salary and a complete range of benefits.
Executive Vice President
344 N. Old Woodward, Ste. 304
Birmingham, MI 48009
T: 248-258-0616, Ext. 229
Candace A. Doorley
Senior Account Manager
Jobplex, Inc., A DHR International Company
10 S. Riverside Pl., Suite 2220
Chicago, Illinois 60606
The Michigan Fitness Foundation is an at-will employer. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. The Michigan Fitness Foundation reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time. This position is considered to be non-exempt according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Teamwork is the cornerstone of the Michigan Fitness Foundation, and we’re looking for hardworking and creative individuals to help us make Michigan a better place to live, work and play. We invite prospective applicants to view position vacancies and submit a resume, cover letter and references as directed. MFF is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, age, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, or other characteristics protected by federal, state and local laws.