Career Opportunities with Michigan Fitness
The Michigan Fitness Foundation (MFF) is a nonprofit located in Old Town Lansing. Our mission is to improve lives and strengthen communities by promoting healthy eating and active living.
Public Health Fellow
FTE: 1.0 (80 hours per two-week pay period)
SALARY: $36,000 - $40,000
DESCRIPTION: A two-year (as 12-month contracts), full-time experience in statewide public health programs offered to a professional with an advanced degree in public health
- Assist with the development, implementation and evaluation of public health programs at the local and state level.
- Serve on a collaborative team to collect, analyze, and report on process and outcome data as it relates to nutrition and physical activity programming.
- Outline evaluation and communication strategies using the Social Ecological Model for public health practitioners focusing efforts on policy, systems, and environment change.
- Conduct literature reviews and develop white papers on assigned public health topics.
- Maintain expertise in state and federal guidelines related to nutrition education and physical activity promotion, including SNAP-Ed Guidance.
- Participate in the development, distribution, and collection of required grant renewal and reporting paperwork.
- Build relationships with Partner organizations and provide ongoing technical assistance.
- Coordinate and participate in trainings.
- Serve as a team project representative at local, state, and national conferences as requested.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Results oriented and self-directed
- Ability to work on and contribute to a team
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Computer and statistical software skills (MS Office suite, SPSS, etc.)
- Familiarity with data collection, analyses, interpretation, and reporting
- Higher education degree in public health or related field preferred
Must be able to:
Constantly operate a computer and other standard office machines, and constantly communicate with internal staff as well as external partners.
Frequently remain in a stationary position as well as move about in the course of general duties.
Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to provide proof of valid auto insurance.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 1, 2016 or until suitable candidates are found.
Please email cover letter, resume or CV, and an essay (500 word limit, 12-point font, double-spaced) on a priority public health need, approach(es) and rationale that are relevant to the mission and vision of the Michigan Fitness Foundation to Kathleen Cullinen, PhD, RDN at kcullinen at michiganfitness.org. Please indicate MFF Public Health Fellow in the subject line.
The Michigan Fitness Foundation is an at-will employer. The above position describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. The Michigan Fitness Foundation reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time. This position is considered to be non-exempt according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.