Career Opportunities with Michigan Fitness
The Michigan Fitness Foundation (MFF) is a nonprofit located in Old Town Lansing. Our mission is to improve lives and strengthen communities by promoting healthy eating and active living.
10–15 hours/week during the school year;
30–35 hours/week during the summer
|Education:||Undergraduate/graduate student pursuing a degree in communications, public relations, event planning, marketing or health-related field (Class credit may be available)|
|Salary:||$10 per hour|
Communications interns are exposed to several statewide programs, events and advocacy efforts throughout the internship program (January 2015–December 2015). Interns have the opportunity to actively contribute to Michigan-wide communications and marketing efforts and events, receive real-world experience in a fast-paced nonprofit environment.
All intern positions are non-exempt.
- Assist with implementation of organization's marketing/communication plan.
- Assist with planning of legislative education initiatives.
- Assist with Michigan Fitness Foundation, Michigan Trails and Greenways Alliance and Promoting Active Communities events and programs.
- Write communication materials for website, newsletter, blogs.
- Maintain current database of newspaper, radio and TV contacts by county using Microsoft Excel.
- Projects and responsibilities may be modified at the organization's discretion.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and problem-solving track record.
- Ability to achieve set goals in a fast-paced, self-starting, and productivity-focused work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to be successful in a team environment and to foster a team atmosphere.
- Communication excellence (i.e., interpersonal, written, oral, presentation).
- Demonstrated competence in database management and Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and social media channels.
- Prior internship experience preferred.
Must be able to:
- Frequently remain in a stationary position as well as move about in the course of general duties.
- Constantly operate a computer and other standard office machines, e.g., phone, printer and copier.
- Frequently communicate with internal staff as well as external partners.
- Occasionally work in outdoor weather conditions.
- Occasionally lift various pieces of equipment, weighing individually up to 50 lbs.
- Periodically drive to various sites throughout the state of Michigan.
- Must have a valid driver's license and be able to provide proof of current, valid auto insurance.
MICHIGAN TRAILS AND GREENWAYS ALLIANCE
Mission: The statewide voice for non-motorized trail users, helping people build, connect and promote trails for a healthier and more prosperous Michigan.
- Frequently produce press releases, social media content, blog posts, and media advisories.
- Communicate with partnerships, board members and Michigan Fitness Foundation employees on a daily basis.
- Attend the Michigander Bicycle Tour, executing a communication plan for a week-long event and assisting with logistics on the bicycle tour.
- Assist with promotional efforts of the Michigander Bicycle Tour prior to the event, beginning in January
- Maintain a database of media coverage.
- Coordinate communications efforts with other interns and communications directors.
- Graphic design experience preferred.
The Michigan Fitness Foundation is an at-will employer. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. The Michigan Fitness Foundation reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time. This position is located in Lansing and is considered to be non-exempt per the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Please send cover letter, resume and references to:
|By U.S. Mail to:||
Michigan Fitness Foundation
Attn: Ben Kohrman
P.O. Box 27187
Lansing, MI 48909
|By email to:||firstname.lastname@example.org|