Labor Day Bridge Run & Walks
Labor Day is an opportunity to celebrate the end of summer with friends and family. For more than 55 years, 50,000 Michiganders travel every Labor Day to the Straits of Mackinac to join in the Mackinac Bridge Labor Day Walk celebration.
We offer 600 runners the opportunity to kick off these festivities with the Mackinac Bridge Labor Day Run. Participants greet the sun during the non-competitive, four mile run. The Governor’s Office, Michigan Fitness Foundation, Michigan Department of Transportation and Mackinac Bridge Authority coordinate the run.
Because not everyone can walk or run the Mighty Mac on Labor Day, we provide a Labor Day Community Walks program that gives Michigan residents the opportunity to get out and be active. Learn more here.
Sponsorship opportunities are available for the 2016 Mackinac Bridge Labor Day Run. To discuss sponsorship levels or receive more information, please contact Michelle Coss.
The Mackinac Bridge Labor Day Run is a non-competitive run of about 4.3 miles over the Mackinac Bridge, taking place before the annual Bridge Walk. It’s organized by the Governor’s Office, Michigan Fitness Foundation, and Mackinac Bridge Authority. This is not a timed event and the course is not certified for distance. The Mackinac Bridge Labor Day Run is limited to 600 participants.
Monday, Sept. 5, 2016
Start Time: 7 a.m.
Race Fee: $55 + $3.30 RunSignUp Fee
Runners who expect to run slower than 12 minutes per mile and/or cannot run the entire five miles, should not participate in the run. The Labor Day Walk starts soon after the last wave of runners depart. For safety reasons, the runners and walkers must be separated for this event.
The number of participants is limited to 600 runners. Slots will fill on a first-come first-served basis.
In the past, only those who participated in a Pure Michigan FITness Series event were eligible to enter the Mackinac Bridge Labor Day Run. This is no longer the case.
Disclaimer of Liability:
Before beginning the run, all participants must carefully determine that they are physically fit and medically able to participate, since the physical strain of the run could lead to serious health problems. Participants should also understand that running involves risks of injury from falls due to the surface condition of the bridge, contact with other participants, and the effects of weather, including high heat and/or humidity. The state of Michigan, Mackinac Bridge Authority, St. Ignace Chamber of Commerce, Mackinaw Area Chamber of Commerce, the Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness/Michigan Fitness Foundation, and all their respective employees, agents, volunteers and sponsors are not assuming any obligations with regard to such risks and specifically disclaim any and all liability arising from any runner's participation in the Mackinac Bridge Labor Day Run.
Not all Michiganders can make it to the Mackinac Bridge Labor Day Walk. We hope to give every Michigander the opportunity to participate in this walking tradition by encouraging communities to host their own Labor Day Community Walk.
2015 Endorsed Walks:
- White Lake Labor Day Community Walk – For more information, please contact: email@example.com
- Mighty Mac in Marathon Labor Community Walk – For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Labor Day Fun Walk – For more information, please contact: email@example.com
- 10th Annual Paint Creek Trail Labor Day Virtual Bridge Walk & Run – For more information, please visit: http://www.paintcreektrailfriends.org
- Grand Haven Labor Day Community Walk - For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trek the Trestle Labor Day Community Walk – For more information, please visit: http://www.stclaircounty.org/Offices/parks/BridgeWalk.aspx
- UP Health System Labor Day Bridge Walk – For more information, please visit: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/labor-day-bridge-walk-2015-tickets-17878879209
- Cedar River Bridge Walk - For more information, please contact: email@example.com
If your community is interested in hosting a Labor Day Community Walk event, please fill out the form below. Organizers of registered walks will receive free support materials to help make their Labor Day Community Walk a success.